French Equatorial Africa was an administrative federation of French territories in west-central Africa. It was formed in 1910 by Gabon, Middle Congo, and Ubangi-Shari-Chad. In 1920, Chad was separated from Ubangi-Shari to form a fourth colony in the federation.
During World War II, French Equatorial Africa supported the Free French Forces and was their centre of activity.
In 1958 the territories voted to become autonomous, and the federation was dissolved by 1960.